Friday, January 19, 2007

NFL notes - 1/19/2007 - Conference Championships.

The Conference Championships are here and I think it's time for some bold predictions. I think the Colts and Saints win this weekend. I am sick of all the hype for Brady and Belichick and Brady is garnering more and more of the hype than even Belichick these days. I understand they are both good and have won a lot of big games together, but still I don't think Brady is all that. I have always had a problem with the NFL quarterbacks being rated purely on winning the big one. Actually it's an American thing more than anything else where we just love winners and champions. I understand thats one of the beauty of sports and may be even the reason for watching for most people. You have a winner and a loser after every game and there's a finality to it thats missing in real life. Most of our real life unfolds in the "grey area" with no winners or losers, no clear right or wrong. I agree with the cliche "winning isn't everything but the only thing"! With all that said, America loves team sports and I thinks it's unfair to evaluate individual athletes purely based on winning. It happens to all athletes, but the QBs in the NFL get the worst of it. Not only are they playing the ultimate team-sports, a sport I consider the ultimate metaphor for life (sorry Baseball), they also get evaluated purely based on winning the Super Bowl.

Now Peyton Manning is in that spot where he is blamed for not winning the big one. He has had great seasons in the past, but has lost in the playoff to either Brady or some other team. Mostly the Colts defense has been the culprit. The defense got so bad earlier this season that the experts already let Peyton off the hook for the eventual playoff loss! But now suddenly the Colts defense looks world-class and the Colts get a home game against the hated Brady and the Patriots. That after Brady won the previous week on a 4-th quarter drive and Peyton having thrown 5 interceptions in 2 playoff games. Given all this, I would say this is a must-win game for the Colts. To quote Boomer Esiason, if Peyton loses this game, he might as well buy a house and move in next door to A-Rod, another alleged "choker"! Peyton will be out of excuses if he loses this one. But I think the Colts don't need any excuses this time around.

The Colts should win because they are at home and they are going up against a good, but not a a great defense. The Patriot defense is not as good as it had been in the past. I can't see how they stop Peyton and that running attack with Addai and Rhodes. On the other side, I think the Colts defense has been more than decent the last 2 weeks and they should benefit the most from playing at home. Again, the Patriots rushing attack is good, but not great and the they should not have a whole lot of success this Sunday. I can't see the Colts losing unless they completely self-destruct. But then again, thats exactly what the Chargers did last week. They gave the game away to the Patriots on a platter and if the Colts don't do that, they should win. We know the Pats will play mistake-free for the most part.

In the NFC game, I think Drew Brees and the Saints will get it done on the road. I think they just have more talent and the Bears can't go blow for blow with them with Sexy-Rexy at QB. Bears D has to win this game for them, but I didn't like what I saw with that D last week against the Seahawks. They were not all that they are cracked up to be. I think Saints take this one.

No comments: