Friday, February 02, 2007

NFL notes - 2/1/2007 - Super Bowl Predictions

The Super Bowl is almost here. All the hype and all the hours and hours of analysis on ESPN and it's getting old already. There's not much of a story-line, there are no great "characters" in either team and there's nothing much to analyze either. Still the radio and TV shows have been covering this for 2 weeks because they have to. Here's this Super Bowl in a nut-shell.

1) Colts are the better team on paper and are a 7 point favorite.
2) Peyton Manning is the best quarterback in the league. Bears probably can't stop him. He is in several ads and deservedly so.
3) Rex Grossman is not that good. He is up-and-down on a weekly basis.
4) Devin Hester is a great Kick and Punt returner. Colts special teams are not that good and this is an area of strength for the Bears.
5) The Super Bowl features 2 black coaches for the first time ever and both these guys are classy, mild-mannered gentlemen.
6) The Bears have a good linebacker in Brian Urlacher. Some might say he is a little over-rated and I might agree.
7) The Bears RB is Thomas Jones whose parents did a wonderful job of raising multiple kids working day and night at the mines. His younger brother is Julius Jones, the RB for the Cowboys.

There's nothing more to know here and only 7 is even a marginally interesting story. As for the game, I think the Colts win. The Bears might keep it close (or get blown out!), but they probably can't win. They stay close if Sexy Rexy plays well and Devin Hester gets them in good field position. The Bears offense and Hester have to be as good as they can be for them to compete in this one. They definitely have a shot, but not a great shot.

As for who do I want to win, I like Peyton Manning and I love Tony Dungy. I think Dungy is one of the classiest guys in the NFL and I have always liked him. I like Peyton Manning too as a QB and as a person. So I definitely want the Colts to win ... I think. But there's an evil part of my mind that wants Peyton to lose and I am not too proud of that. I have always been a big fan of Dan Marino. It's a travesty that Dan couldn't win the Super Bowl with his talent. Peyton is often compared to Dan because of how good he is as a QB, but also because he has not won the Super Bowl. Part of me feels like he should not win one so that he doesn't surpass Marino in the eyes of the so-called "experts". I feel like Dan needs company and Peyton is the best company he can have! It was Elway for all those years before Terrell Davis helped Elway change that. I wonder what Marino thinks about Manning winning one. I am sure he is a little jealous. After all, we are all human beings.

No comments: