Sunday, February 07, 2016

Denver 23 - Carolina 20

The Super Bowl has been dissected and analyzed in every which way the last 2 weeks including various talking heads pontificating on contrived racial issues around people's perception of Cam Newton. Thats what happens when we don't have a football game for 2 weeks after almost 5 straight months of non-stop NFL mania. Media has to keep their 24 hour sports chatter fed and happy and every angle of this game has been over-analyzed. We are all now ready for the game and glad it's less than a day away. I will spare you all the details of my line of thinking, but I am going to go with my gut and a little bit of my heart and say Peyton Manning walks away into the sunset a Super Bowl winner. My head says the Panthers could easily blowout the Broncos if a couple of early breaks go their way during the game. They are absolutely known for creating those early breaks and jumping on teams. Given Manning's recent performances in the Super Bowl, that might very well happen here. But I do like the narrative of Manning retiring a champion much like his GM John Elway. It's too good to pass up!

Aside from my gut feel and a marginal rooting interest in Manning's legacy, I do think there are legitimate football reasons to like the Broncos. Their defense is legit. I was very impressed with what they did to the Patriots couple of weeks ago both strategically as well as on the field. The Panthers offense and the MVP Cam are no joke and their balance on that side of the ball with their ability to both run and pass will be a major challenge for any defense. But I think Cam can be bothered by the Denver D and if they force him into a mistake or 2, the Broncos will be in business. Of course, everybody expects Peyton to be the one to be forced into mistakes given how he is more of a weak-armed, game manager these days. This Peyton is not the same player we saw 10 years back, but he can still do some damage, especially if you give him 2 weeks of rest and preparation time just like the Super Bowl schedule just did. Peyton also looked decent early in the game against the Pats, though the Pats defense is no comparison to the Panthers. I think there is enough juice in that right arm and if he doesn't choke like he does sometimes, he will give the Broncos D and their running game an opportunity to help him walk into the sunset in style.

Long story short, I am expecting a nip and tuck game with the Broncos upsetting the Panthers 23-20 in a close one. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

2 comments:

Magesh said...

Wow! What a bold (and brilliant) pick! Lots of mistakes by both teams (just like you predicted) but most were forced by great defense. Cam did look a little rattled and Peyton didn't have to do much at all. Von Miller and the Broncos defense were outstanding and proved that the New England win was no fluke (and here I was expecting Denver to lose to Pittsburgh in Round 1!).

I think Carolina has many good years ahead of them but a Manning comeback would surprise me (I don't think it's good for him or the team). The game itself wasn't particularly enjoyable (low scoring, questionable officiating and lots of mistakes) but I think the result was fair.

I think Peyton can hold his head high now at the dinner table -- 2 Super Bowls and 4 AFC Championships vs. 2 Super Bowls and 2 NFC Championships for Eli. John Elway's move to bring Peyton finally paid off and now he has another Super Bowl ring as team president/GM.

Commercials weren't that great this time but I did enjoy the half-time show. The weather was great and it does look like Santa Clara held its own as a Super Bowl venue.

Good_Cynic said...

Thanks :-) I am happy I got this one right. Doesn't always happen.

Good points by you about Peyton, Elway, and the host city. Elway's legend in Denver just went to astronomical levels as if he needed to be any more polar there :-) Great job by him though. The Super Bowl in the Bay was a huge success too.