Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

New Year means one important thing - we are ready for the NFL playoffs. And I am excited for this year's version more than usual. The main reason for it is how the regular season ended in an absolute perfect way for me. Dallas got annihilated in Philly. They lost 4 fumbles and Romo wanted to give back even more to the Philly community. He threw an interception too. A 44-6 drubbing kept Dallas out and also let Philly in to the playoffs. Both results I definitely can live with. I have always maintained Donovan McNabb is kinda overrated, but I like him as a person and I have a lot of sympathy for him. He had to deal with all the crap TO brought to his life in addition to those Philly nut-jobs. Too much for a dude who has a lot to deal with to begin with being a black QB.

The next best result on Sunday was Miami beating the Jets. Nothing against the Jets and Brett Favre, but Miami's win meant New England was out of the playoffs. Sweet! Plus I am fan of Chad Pennington. Another decent guy who is very accurate and always plays under control. How ironic is it that he was let go in New York in favor of Favre and he comes back to rip their hearts out. Of course I don't blame New York for getting rid of him. His shoulder was indeed shot after the surgery. Even with all that, I always felt like Pennington was one of the few athletes who was relatively comfortable in New York. It should have had something to do with the way he handled himself. Even with a Super Bowl ring, Eli Manning seems overwhelmed by New York on a weekly basis. I am very happy that Chad is taking Bill Parcells' team to the playoffs and they both eliminated the Patriots on the way.

San Diego took Denver to the woodshed Sunday night and clinched a playoff spot which looked impossible just a few weeks back. This led to the shocking firing of Mike Shanahan. I would rather have LT, Philip Rivers and Norv Turner in the playoffs instead of Shanahan, Jay Cutler and their 8-Th string running back. I think the Chargers will give the Colts a run for their money though I expect the Colts to win the game. That game also happens to be the best match-up of the wild-card weekend. Couple of other reasons I love this playoffs is of course because of the presence of Arizona after a loooong time. And they are playing Matty Ice and the Atlanta Falcons. What a turnaround for the Falcons and how great is it to have 2 rookie QBs lead their teams to the playoffs? Ice and Joe Flacco with the Ravens. Finally these teams have some hope at the QB position. Matty Ice seems like the real deal. Lets see what he does in the playoffs against our Cards.

The College Bowl Season is also heating up after 3 bowl weeks and the first 190 bowl games. How many bowl games do they actually have these days? More importantly, how many companies are out there in the World? I heard the names of some companies for the first time ever through the stupid bowl games they sponsor. After all the early season bowl games like the KFC chicken bowl played in the parking lot of the new Yankee stadium in front of 7 construction workers that featured the 11-Th ranked team from the Big-10 and some team from the ACC with a robust 2-8 conference record, now we can watch some real bowl games. I am talking about the USC-Penn state Rose Bowl match-up. I want to watch it for sure to start 2009 in style.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... you're so hot.. with your interesting comments on things and stuff. I totally want you. :-) Make love to me you monster.