Thursday, July 19, 2007

Vick is sick

Ron Mexico is a sick dude. Thats all I can say. He has been indicted by the feds for dog fighting. The details are gruesome. Vick and the gang are accused of killing these dogs in real brutal ways after they lost some of the fight. It's really sickening and Vick is in a lot of trouble. He is facing a lot of wrath from the general public. I have always thought America loved dogs more than people! He probably could get away if he killed some people, but killing a dog is going to make him real unpopular among the dog loving American people. Typically, if are you good at what you do athletically and you are rich, you can get away with anything as Kobe and former NBA center Jayson Williams have shown us. But this could be a tough sell even for the talented Mr.Vick. I don't even like dogs and I feel like he is a completely soul-less person for what he is accused of doing.

I used to love Vick when he came out of Va-Tech. I looked at him as the quarterback of the next century - a prototype for the future much like Dan Marino was in the early eighties for the previous generation of QBs. I have been disappointed not just by his off-field issues, but even his on-field play. I had already lost all my love for him over the years as he was not getting any better on the field and was constantly getting worse off of it. But all of that just pales in comparison to this dog-fighting deal. The Feds seems to have done their homework and people are saying they got the goods on him and it'll be difficult for him to get out of this. I still would say he probably gets out unscathed. I am not a legal expert and I don't understand the difference between a federal court and the local court at Eagle county Colorado. But Vick is a 100 million dollar man and I can't see him doing hard time in our judicial system. Call me a cynic, but you know cynicism and realism are cousins. I think I am just being realistic when I say he'll probably be out though he should do time for this crime.

The one ridiculous thing I have been hearing on this topic has been some people trying to explain this as part of a sub-culture, referring to the inner-city black life style. Thats just unacceptable to me. I am very sensitive to racial issues in our society and I love black people as much as anybody else. But don't tell me we have to start defining criminal behavior along cultural lines! It's one thing to say my culture eats more chicken while yours eats more beef or we talk and walk a certain way, but we can't have different criminal laws and different definitions of decency and civility for different cultures. As somebody said on the radio, what if the KKK comes out and asks us to accept lynching because thats part of KKK's culture? Thats just stupid. It seems like it's becoming more and more common the last few years for some black people to explain away some of the stupid behavior of black athletes as part of the black culture. Thats an insult to the black culture more than anything. Thats why hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons and the Rev. Al Sharpton joined with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Humane Society of the United States in calling for strong stands against animal cruelty. "Today, we sound a clarion call to all people: Stand up for what is right, and speak out against what is wrong. Dogfighting is unacceptable. Hurting animals for human pleasure or gain is despicable. Cruelty is just plain wrong," the letter said. I am glad the Reverend did this because he tends to play the race card once too often. I have always had a lot of respect for Russell Simmons though.

The bottom-line - another racially divisive issue, thanks to Ron Mexico. It's amazing how everything in America, especially American sports is somehow related to race.

No comments: