Thursday, September 09, 2004

NFL 2004 !

The 2004 NFL season started today finally. One of the few days I actually got home early (before 6 PM here on the left coast). I was hoping to see a great game and the Patriots-Colts didn't disappoint one bit. This is what sets NFL apart from the the MLB and the NBA. It's playoff type intensity, effort and energy from game 1. And it's this way every year. It doesn't even have to be great teams kicking things off like we had today. Every NFL team thinks they are good anyways, especially in week 1 in this parity-era. Last year's Redskins-Jets season opener was just as intensely fought and neither team made it to the playoffs at the end. Coming back to today's game, this kid Tom Brady is really getting good. I have always thought he was kind of over-rated. He still probably is, but I have to grudgingly accept that he is good. He is accurate and always seems to make the right decision. Playing all those big games over the last few years has definitely helped Brady. He seems to have that intangible "it" that everybody talks about. Corey Dillon was probably under-used initially, but he got his touches eventually. Hopefully the Pats will use him more appropriately from the game 2.

I am not a big fan of the Pats or Tom Brady. So I was pulling for the Colts. I am big a fan of Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning. Just too much class there. Also Manning is probably the best QB in the league and how can you not like their high-octane offense ? Their defense is pathetic as always. But tonight, they let one get away. Fumbles and interceptions cost them. As always Bill Belichick came up with the great blitz call at the end which put Manning on his back and pushed Vanderjagt out of his comfort zone. I knew immediately he was going to miss the kick because he didn't kick with authority today. Even the extra points looked wobbly and shaky on TV. Edge looked great. I couldn't believe how easily they rushed up the gut against the Pats defense. I would be concerned if I were a Patriots fan. I can't see them winning the Super Bowl again with this run defense though this was against a good offense and a great rusher. I expect other teams to copy the Colts and try and rush against the Pats all year long. We have seen this time and time again where a great NFL team gets figured out in a couple of years and every team in the league start hitting them at the weak spot. Could this be happening to the Pats this year ? Me think so.

Fantasy Notes:
---------------
I am in 3 different fantasy leagues. I was impressed with the performance of Deion Branch, David Givens and Dallas Clark in the game. I could still get Dallas Clark in one of the leagues, but I already have Alge Crumpler (Atl - TE) and Jason Witten (Dal - TE) in my roster. So I couldn't pick him up :-( The other two Pats receivers are all taken in all the 3 leagues. So no tangible fantasy moves came out of tonite's game. I was going to put some money on the over (44.5 pts.) too. But I wanted to enjoy the game without any gambling angle. In fact, luckily I had no players from either team in any of my 3 fantasy teams. That was kind of surprising. So I could watch the whole game un-encumbered. But I did guess right on the "over" though. If only I had put some money ...

No comments: