Sunday, September 06, 2009

First Saturday

One of my friend, who is not a big sports fan, says he likes football but he does not like the all-encompassing nature of football. I beg to differ and I am sure most football fans will agree with me. We love football precisely because of it's all-encompassing nature. For instance, I had two fantasy football drafts today and yesterday was the first Saturday of the College football season. I was in and out Saturday morning, but I made sure I was in front of the TV for the Va Tech-Alabama game. I turned on the TV at 5 PM and football kept me company all evening and all night as I was doing my fantasy research as well. It was almost 11 PM by the time the West coast games on TV ended. There was a few good ones too, which is very rare this early in the season. The Alabama-VaTech game was good all the way and the LSU-Washington one was good too. It's exciting times for football fans as we get to watch college ball on TV and wait with bated breath for the NFL and the fantasy season.

Virginia Tech hung in there and made an interesting game out of it. But honestly, they were not talented as Alabama, especially on offense. They competed thanks to "Beamer ball" on special teams and some good defense, but Bama pulled away late in the game and put them away. Most other top 5 teams had a field day crushing their opponents - Florida, Texas and USC. Of course I am all about the upset. The big one was number 3 Oklahoma losing to BYU. Heisman winner Sam Bradford was injured and had to leave the game. With him went their chances of winning this game. His return is still uncertain and Oklahoma's title hopes are in serious trouble. But then again, they lost to Texas and still ended up in the championship game ahead of them last year. Number 6 Ohio state sneaked past Navy 31-27. Navy lined up for a 2 point play that would have tied it, but the suck-eyes intercepted the ball and took it the other way. Now they can get ready for their huge game against USC next week and get embarrassed as always.

The season actually started with a bang on Thursday as Oregon went into Boise and got embarrassed on the blue field. They were supposed to take revenge for the loss at home last season, but the Ducks ended up with another L in this rivalry now. To make matters worse, RB LeGarrette Blount punched a dude in the face and almost went Ron Artest on the crowd. Luckily he was restrained from attacking the crowd, but the punch has got him suspended for the year. Thats harsh! I can see a 3 or 4 game suspension, but I don't think it deserves a full-season. After all, the Boise State dude provoked him with a tap to his shoulder and some trash talking after the game. Who does that after the game? But I guess Blount's past caught up to him more than the present and he got punished hard. Trying to get into the crowd is never a smart idea and that made his situation worse. Blount has since called Boise State defensive end Byron Hout and coach Chris Petersen to apologize for the punch. I hope they reduce his "sentence".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually agree with the season ending suspension. It was after the game, so cooler heads should prevail. Overly aggressive tendency had been lightly punished all too often and a lot of players carried that same attitude into their personal life.