Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Anti Climatic

Brett Favre apparently told the Vikings he is not coming back to play for them this upcoming season. NOOOO !!! I am so disappointed and shocked. I would have bet my house last month that he was coming back for sure - if I had a house that is. He went under the knife for the Vikes, but still finally gave up. I was as sick of his waffling as anybody else, though I was surprised by how openly the talking heads were ripping him on ESPN this season. I have been sick of his retirement routine even 4 years back or whenever he started it. The media was totally sucking up to him back then and only last year, it became a little too uncomfortable even for the ESPN nuts to support him. And this year, people have been openly bashing him and rightfully so. But to me, it' all part of the NFL entertainment. I am not a big Favre fan and I don't really care about his legacy or his image. Plus who doesn't like to see him play? I think he is still pretty good. So I would have been perfectly fine if he had come back.

A good QB gives me the best reason to watch a team. If Favre is in the league, thats another team I am interested in watching. Vikings were good last season and Favre would have been an intriguing addition for sure. Now he is just a major off-season distraction. The Vikings QBs should be dancing in joy today. They got their job back. As for the rest of the team and the coaching staff, this should be deflating. Thats why you better be careful when you touch Brett Favre. It can go either way. Vikings pursuit of hall of fame QBs always seem to end bad for them. They went after Marino after his last year with Miami and Dan was also very tempted. That team was probably not this well-rounded, but it had Randy Moss and Chris Carter at their peak and they wanted Marino to throw to them. It never happened and now the same result with Favre. But the bottom-line is, I am really excited about football. We are less than 6 weeks away from the season opener and I can't wait - Favre or No Favre, Vick or no Vick, who by the way is conditionally reinstated.

Mark Buehrle threw a perfect game last week. It is always great when that happens. Truly historic to see a perfect game. Dewayne Wise's catch in the 9-Th was AWESOME!! Great managing too because Wise was put in the game for defensive purposes in the 9-Th and he had to step up right away. Buehrle continued his great pitching today and he went onto retire 45 straight dudes between the 2 games. Unfortunately, he took a turn to negative town in the 7-Th inning and ended up losing the game. But it was still an amazing 2 starts for him. He got a standing ovation on the road. That should tell you how impressive he pitched today. The other pitcher in the news these days - Roy Halladay, is still in Toronto. Apparently Boston is dangling some good meat in front of the Jays. When did the Sox become the Yankees? They get everything these days.

In the NBA, New Orleans traded Chandler to Charlotte for Emeka Okefor. Surprising, considering the Hornets were supposed to cut costs and dump Chandler. They actually acquired a better player and a longer term contract, though Okefor is not overpaid. The bad news here is, the West got better because the Hornets took a step back last year and many expected them to decline further this year. Now, I am not sure about that. Okefor is not a super star, but I'll take his 13-10 with 2 blocks at the center position any day of the week over Chandler's injures. The Suns signed Nash for 2 more years for 22 million. Thats great news! Who doesn't like Nash? He is one of those guys who fit any team, any time anywhere even if the Suns go full rebuild mode on us. I also like it from the standpoint that this also means the Suns are not going to go full rebuild. Nash is getting old and would like to stay in a competitive team and I am sure they spoke about the team and contending etc. So this means the Suns have some sort of commitment to at least staying competitive. Amare is also saying he is happy with the moves they made. Thats positive. The Suns missed the playoffs last year, but they are actually not that far off from making the playoffs again. The Suns went 18-13 under Gentry despite losing Amare Stoudemire and scored 117.7 per game. That will win you a lot of games in this league next season especially if Amare is solid.

That makes me excited for the upcoming NBA season too! I guess this is why I am an incorrigible sports fan.

No comments: