Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Call me when you are in my block!

There has been a lot of controversy recently around Don Shula calling the Patriots season "tainted" because of spy-gate. The 1972 Dolphins always come off looking petty and juvenile with their Champagne bottle popping celebration every year when the last unbeaten team loses. But I have to agree with Don Shula about the "taint". May be it's just because I hate the hoody and the Pats, but he does seem to have a point. But today, I think I found my most favorite 72 Dolphin - RB Mercury Morris. He was talking trash to the Pats about how they are barely half-way to perfection and all this talk about 17-0 is premature to say the least. He might have came out with the best quote ever. "Don't call me when they're in my town, call me when they're on my block." Thats awesome. I'll be adding this to my lingo pretty soon!

Speaking of the Dolphins, the league re-instated Ricky Williams. I am a big supporter of this yoga-loving, world-travelling, new-age running back. I welcome him back with open arms. The other big Dolphins news is that they are going to start rookie John Beck this weekend at QB. John who? It's amazing how bad the QB talent in this league is right now. Recently I was talking to my friend about our fellow Sun-Devil Jake Plummer, who is busy playing professional doubles handball with his elder brother. I told him that if Plummer comes back, he should have a starting job within 10 minutes. I am a big fan of the Snake, but even grading him conservatively and dispassionately, he is clearly in the top half (top 16) of QBs in this league. I was watching Alex Smith this Monday and could not stomach how low the QB play has dropped even with the proud Montana-Young 49'ers. Here's the list of QBs I would rank higher than Plummer

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Brett Favre
Tony Romo
Matt Hasselback
Donavan McNabb
Carson Palmer
Marc Bulger
Eli Manning
Jay Cutler
Jon Kitna

As you can see, I am trying to be real fair here. I have even ranked Jay Cutler and Jon Kitna above him. Why am I in such a giving mood? I really don't know. But the point is, aside from this list, I will argue for Plummer against any other starter in the league today. Give me Plummer over Jeff Garcia or Jake Delhomme. You can have your over-the-hill Warner or Culpepper or McNair or Trent Greene, I'll take Plummer. Leinart and Vince Young and Philip Rivers can't even Carry Jake's jock, at least not yet. Even if you rank some these guys over Jake, he is clearly a quality starter in todays NFL. May be he should come back and make one more team watchable on Sundays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Plummer play again, if that's what he wants that is. But he doesn't seem to want it.

Anonymous said...

Vince Young? He is really good even if he is a longhorn ;)